OpenJRE or Oracle Jre

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon May 13 22:44:54 UTC 2013

Am 13.05.2013 20:34, schrieb Bill Davidsen:
> Fernando Cassia wrote:
>> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>>> do NOT install it if you are not really use it!
>>
>> I could be wrong, but I believe the current OpenJDK and Icedtea-web
>> approach is NOT to run unsigned applets by default, and modern
>> browsers (ie Mozilla's Firefox) now feature CLICK TO RUN on all
>> plug-in content.
>>
>> So, while I know by now -due to your repetition at every opportunity-
>> that you hate applets, that advice is not needed anymore. There's no
>> way code could run if you do not click-enable the plugin in the
>> browser + grant permission on a per-site basis in the plugin's own
>> dialogs.
>>
> What does it matter if he hate applets? His advice is good on this particular topic, forcing the user to be aware
> of the security issues and make good decisions about what to run is a bad thing, too many people follow the "you
> have to click this stupid warning before you can run the neat _steal all my data_ game" approach

and the "There's no way code could run" attitude is naive
there maybe in the future *a exploit* for the plugin itself
leading to execute code *before* you have anything to click

in case of security there is only one thumb rule:

do not install and/or enable *anything* you do not *really*
need and use, what is not there can not be affected by a
security hole