OpenJRE or Oracle Jre

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Wed May 15 12:53:45 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 7:44 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>wrote:

> Am 13.05.2013 20:34, schrieb Bill Davidsen:
> > Fernando Cassia wrote:
> >>
> >> I could be wrong, but I believe the current OpenJDK and Icedtea-web
> >> approach is NOT to run unsigned applets by default, and modern
> >> browsers (ie Mozilla's Firefox) now feature CLICK TO RUN on all
> >> plug-in content.
> >>
> >> So, while I know by now -due to your repetition at every opportunity-
> >> that you hate applets, that advice is not needed anymore. There's no
> >> way code could run if you do not click-enable the plugin in the
> >> browser + grant permission on a per-site basis in the plugin's own
> >> dialogs.
> >>
> > What does it matter if he hate applets? His advice is good on this
> particular topic, forcing the user to be aware
> > of the security issues and make good decisions about what to run is a
> bad thing, too many people follow the "you
> > have to click this stupid warning before you can run the neat _steal all
> my data_ game" approach
>
> and the "There's no way code could run" attitude is naive
> there maybe in the future *a exploit* for the plugin itself
> leading to execute code *before* you have anything to click
>
> in case of security there is only one thumb rule:
>
> do not install and/or enable *anything* you do not *really*
> need and use, what is not there can not be affected by a
> security hole

So, let's all do it right and use openBSD?

Not being sarcastic. I use openBSD. And I agree with the sentiment. Java
never really impressed me as the cure-all it was sold as, and it's only
gone downhill since Oracle kidnapped it.

But I find the conflicting directions in Fedora a bit perplexing, of late.

--
Joel Rees