Image stitcher for panorama creation

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed May 15 16:47:13 UTC 2013

I have some sets of images which are similar to a normal panomama, but are
created when the camera is still and the subject moving past the lens. Examples
include capturing street art, labels on (rotating) cylinders, etc. In every case
the camera is in video mode, and the video is broken into a boatload of
1920x1080 images. I can reduce the fitting effort by cropping, but I really
would like to find software to take a series of images and cope with the overlap.

Naturally there is Windows software to do it, and a pair of jerks who say the
Linux software is incapable. I have a few hundred of these videos, so "by-hand"
is possible but doesn't scale well.

Any suggestions? The man page for hugin lists dozens of command line tools, and
I script netpbm commands, and have even written a few tools, but if there's a
"best practice" solution I can at least start looking in the right place.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
   We are not out of the woods yet, but we know the direction and have