suggestions for linux laptop

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Fri May 17 05:07:58 UTC 2013

On Wed, 15 May 2013 00:13:46 -0400 Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> wrote:

> On 05/15/2013 12:05 AM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > I am looking for a new laptop running Fedora. A real workhorse but
> > hopefully not very heavy. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Btw, what is the highest vertical resolution I can get? I used to have
> > a Dell with 1200 some time ago, but can't seem to locate any now. Btw,
> > does anyone know anything about the Samsung laptop with 1440 vertical
> > resolution?
> >
> > http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/31/samsung-Series%209-WQHD-Ultrabook-matte-display/
> >
> > Is there any hope of this coming to the market? (I could not find it
> > anywhere online.)
> >
> > Many thanks again for any and all suggestions!
> > Ranjan
>
> I'd look at the Thinkpad T430s with integrated graphics. You can get
> 1600x900 resolution and it's quite light. I had the T400s and everything
> worked with linux. I've since opted for the W530 (I needed higher res
> and more RAM) and it's been good, too. However, the W530 is very big and
> heavy. If I didn't need the resolution and RAM, I'd have gotten the
> T430s myself in a heartbeat.
>
> The nvidia card is a pain, which is why I recommend integrated graphics
> (it's flawless in Linux and the integrated is tied to the external
> display, where the discreet models tie the nvidia to the external port,
> which means you have to futz with the binary drivers to use an external
> display). I always upgrade to the top-end wireless NIC and it works
> perfectly with Fedora. Same with the Camera and bluetooth. The only
> parts that don't work are the fingerprint reader (I've not played with
> it, it might be workable) and the microphone mute button.

Btw, as i said in a different post, the W530 does not appear to be
available with the Intel graphics card.

I was also wondering: do these (X1/T430s, etc) come with ethernet slot
or whatever those things are called? I have heard that nowadays even
this is not a given on many of ultrabooks/notebooks.

Many thanks,
Ranjan