Dual head - Nouveau issue F18-64

Laing, Robin Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri May 17 19:46:55 UTC 2013

Hello,

I have a 64 bit F18 system that worked beautifully after the clean
install.  After an update some time ago, I have had an issue with the
dual head setup.

Before the problem occurred, I would boot and get all messages on the
left screen until the X server started.  If the screen saver locked the
screen, the unlock box would be on the left screen (screen 0).  I could
run KDE with effects enabled.

Due to work schedule, I couldn't deal with the problem before now.

Now, when I boot, both displays are in mirror mode.  When the X server
kicks in and KDE starts, the display goes to side by side as expected.
The desktop works as side by side when I can drag windows between the
monitors and virtual desktops as expected.

I cannot run any of the KDE desktop effects.

When the screen saver kicks in, it is two different screen savers on
each monitor, not one across both.

If I move the trackball, I get a unlock box on both screens but they are
not mirrored.  If I enter a password in to one box, the desktop unlocks.

I cannot use anything that requires a full screen such as You Tube
videos in a browser or any game.

I have gone through the settings in Grub and tried different desktop
settings.

This setup has worked flawlessly for two years now.

Due to this issue, the system runs slower when moving between screens or
virtual desktops.  Lack of full screen is a pain for some things.  No
Tux Extreme racer unless I want mirrored action.

--
Robin Laing