F18: Create a USB install of CentOS 6 from iso

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat May 18 11:57:39 UTC 2013

Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:

> On a F18, I installed livecd-tools-18.15-1
>
> I downloaded CenOS6.x minimal .iso and with livecd-iso-to-disk the
> resulting USB is never bootable: the computer doesnt boot on it. Tested
> on many computers.

I installed CentOS-6 on two HP MicroServers with a USB stick.
(These machines don't come with a CD/DVD drive.)

I see from my not very explicit notes that I did this in July 2011,
which must be when CentOS-6 came out.
I installed CentOS on the USB stick under Fedora, like you.
I tried first under CentOS, but this did not work.

My note reads:
----------------------------
I installed CentOS 6 on alfred via a USB stick under Fedora-15,
after running
        livecd-iso-to-disk --reset-mbr CentOS-6.0-x86_64-bin-DVD1.iso
rebooting, and choosing the second option in the menu that comes up,
to use a basic graphics interface.
When I chose the first option,
the installation hung after
"Waiting for hardware to initialize".
----------------------------

I do think the lack of clear instructions on how to do this -
install with a USB stick - on both Fedora and CentOS
is a serious omission.
The Fedora installation instructions, in particular,
are very poor in my view -
you have to follow a bizarre path through different chapters.

A simple 1-page guide is urgently needed,
as more and more machines, particularly servers
but also laptops and netbooks, are appearing without DVD drives.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net