Yum kernel upgrades don't boot

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun May 19 01:40:24 UTC 2013

It appears the when a kernel upgrade is applied by yum, the rebuild of
grub2.conf seems to reset the kernel command lines to default, dropping options
to use working video and network drivers and stable clocks. Even the vital
"nomodeset" option is dropped from the old stanzas in the original grub2.config.
Is this part of the war on using vendor drivers? Booting into a system with an
unstable clock, no video even text in runlevel 3, and no working network doesn't
make a upgrade easy.

So is dropping the kernel command line options a bug, or deliberate policy?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
   We are not out of the woods yet, but we know the direction and have