Rant of the day: Insane dependencies for liveusb-creator

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Mon May 20 07:13:36 UTC 2013

On 05/11/2013 04:58 PM, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> On 05/11/2013 01:04 PM, g wrote:
>>

>> although you have already installed liveusb-creator, did you give
>> consideration to using;
>>
>>     dd if=/path/to/iso-file of=/dev/usb
>>
>> i run fedora for special programs and mainly use scientific linux,
>> which already had liveusb-creator installed.
>>
> Have you actually tried this? Unless the USB device gets detected as
> a CD-ROM, the format is going to be wrong. The partition table and
> boot loader for a USB drive detected as a hard drive are different
> then the format of a CD-ROM. That is why programs like
> liveusb-creator are necessary.

i have not tried, it is what i have seen. that is, i thought i had seen.

i do not keep browser history, so i had to do a lot of searching through
sites that i recalled having logged in past, and i just now found the
page.

as it turns out, my recall was a little skewed, rather it was not in
total of what i was recalling.

the page had "dd1" and i presumed the '1' to be a notation to "dd if= of=",
which turned out not to be. "skim reading" can be misleading sometimes.

when i saw it, i did not look to see if/what the notation was, which it
was not.

in clarifying my saying it is installed, i should have said that it is
an available sl package that can be installed.

several months ago, not knowing that sl had it packaged, i installed
liveusb-creator that i pulled from a site. before using it, i was told
that sl had it packaged, so i removed what i had pulled and installed
the sl release.

i well imagine that there is little difference between the 2, i just
wanted to maintain what sl has packaged in case there is any updating
or other changes 'down the road' and any updates will keep my system
current.

as for 'boot', 'format', 'partition', i agree that there would be much
difference between cd/dvd and usb.

my apologies for the misleading/erred post.

--

peace out.

sl5.9 linux

tc. hago.