Solicited sales email distribution - advice needed

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon May 20 16:18:38 UTC 2013

Allegedly, on or about 20 May 2013, Gary Stainburn sent:
> I have at work one of our salesmen who has an opt-in stock-list
> distribution that has been running for some time now. He has in excess
> of 2500 recipients on this list.
>
> Up until now he has simply had a Distribution list in his MS Outlook
> which he maintains himself. He then sends himself an email every week
> containing the stock list and BCC's the distribution list.  Other than
> generating an excessive load on my EXIM server there has been no  real
> down side to this as it meant that I didn't have to get involved.

There's any number of cost-free services that can do things just like
that, such as yahoo's mailing lists (yahoogroups).  I'm not sure how
they, in particular, handle an administrator adding mail addresses to
the distribution list (as doing that too-simply would allow spammers to
thrive), but it certainly allows individuals to subscribe and
unsubscribe.

One place to ask would be their ISP, presuming that's not you, they
might offer a solution.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.8.12-100.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 8 15:36:14 UTC 2013 x86_64

public lists.