Yum kernel upgrades don't boot

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon May 20 17:33:39 UTC 2013

On Mon, 20 May 2013 12:46:11 -0400
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:

> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On Sat, 18 May 2013 19:35:23 -0700
> > Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:

> >> Neither.  When you install a new kernel, the file is rebuilt, using
> >> /etc/default/grub as a template.  If you need to add something
> >> permanently, you need to add it there.
> >
> > It's actually not. ;) Kernel updates don't run grub2-mkconfig, they
> > use grubby which just copies the last existing entry.
> >
> > It should re-use the options from the previous top existing kernel.
> > Did you have those options in that kernel entry?
> >
> The fact that I got three different answers tells me that I'm not
> alone in having some questions in this area.

...snip...

Yep. I agree it's confusing. ;(

My understanding of it is:

* grub2-mkconfig is never run automatically. You can run it yourself
  however and it will overwrite your config with a new generated one
  using /etc/default/grub.

* On kernel updates, kernel packages call /sbin/new-kernel-pkg which in
  turn calls grubby. grubby is called with --copy-default, which should
  copy the arguments from the current default kernel. Additionally,
  grubby/kernel-new-pkg reads /etc/sysconfig/kernel for some options.

So, for your use you could just regen your config after every kernel
update. Or you could add the options you need to the default kernel or
try and re-run grubby to add the options you need.

kevin