A Software Center for Fedora? [ somewhat OT ]

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Thu May 23 17:53:46 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-05-23 at 12:04 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> On 05/23/2013 12:00 PM, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > On Sun, 2013-05-19 at 14:40 -0400, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >> On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Jonathan Ryshpan
> >> <jonrysh at pacbell.net> wrote:
> >>          On Sat, 2013-05-18 at 18:58 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> >>          > On 18 May 2013 18:27, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >>          > > Any GNOME application is pretty much the same as any GTK application
> >>          >
> >>          > Agreed. gnome-software just requires gtk3-devel at the moment so it'll
> >>          > work fine in LXDE/XFCE and will work fine in KDE if looking a little
> >>          > foreign.
> >>
> >>          If only.  I recently spent about a day figuring out why evolution
> >>          wouldn't send emails on a KDE desktop.  The reason is a disagreement
> >>          between evolution, gnome-keyring, and the KDE infrastructure.  I have a
> >>          workaround but no fix.
> >>
> >> Do file a bug report
> >
> > Where should I file it: evolution bugzilla, gnome keyring bugzilla,
> > general KDE bugzilla, general Gnome bugzilla?  I know developers frown
> > on filing bug reports in more than one place.  (Please excuse the late
> > reply.)
>
> Hard to say without you giving details about what your workaround was.
>
> In my experience,
> gnome developers generally use upstream bugzilla almost exclusively
>
> fedora kde-sig usually recommends:
> * if you think it a distro-specific issue, use bugzilla.redhat.com
> * if you think it an upstream issue, use bugs.kde.org
> * and if in doubt, try distro/downstream bugzilla first.

None of your suggestions seems exactly appropriate.

The workaround is simply to autostart seahorse at the beginning of each
session, double click on its Login padlock icon, and enter my login
password.  Having done this, evolution can get the password for the smtp
server from the keyring.

Under Gnome (as I remember it) the Login keyring is automatically
enabled at login time.  In the past (before Fedora-18, I think), when I
attempted to send the first email of a session a popup box would appear
(probably put up by the gnome-keyring system) to request my login
password.  More recently, this has not happened, so evolution simply
hangs if the keyring is not opened manually.

jon