Weird network problem

Phil Dobbin bukowskiscat at gmail.com
Sun May 26 01:00:05 UTC 2013

Hi, all.

I've got several machines on a LAN behind a NAT with DHCP assigning
always the same addresses from a dynamic IP.

A couple of days ago the IP changed & since then, one of the machines
running Fedora 17 always fails first time to connect to the network:
launch Thunderbird, no start screen, first attempt to check mail, it
tells me that there's no network connection, second attempt it connects.

The scheduled DejaDup backup always fails with no network but will run
manually no problem. Firefox can't find Google but the Nagios
web interface is fine as is all the cli stuff (ping, ssh, etc).

Most annoyingly, yum update goes through every mirror before partially
downloading part of the updates & if the updates are large, it takes
about three attempts to get them all installed.

I'd like to clear this up naturally especially as in the next couple of
weeks I'll be upgrading this box to Fedora 18 & the last thing I need is
a dodgy network connection.

All the machines below are on the same LAN & they all work fine after
the IP address change, it's only the Fedora box that's causing problems.

Any help appreciated. I'm stuck.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy, Spherical &