f17 no internet after power failure, power restored

jackson byers byersjab at gmail.com
Sun May 26 02:36:38 UTC 2013

f17 no internet after power failure, power restored

{my wife's imac does have internet access.)

$ uname -r
3.8.12-100.fc17.i686.PAE
trying with chrome:
Quote:
The server's security certificate is not yet valid!
You attempted to reach www.google.com, but the server presented a
certificate that is not yet valid. No information is available to indicate
whether that certificate can be trusted. Google Chrome cannot reliably
guarantee that you are communicating with www.google.com and not an
attacker. Your computer's clock is currently set to Wednesday, May 25, 2011
10:10:15 AM. Does that look right? If not, you should correct your system's
clock and then refresh this page.
You cannot proceed because the website operator has requested heightened
security for this domain.
endquote

Then I saw, indeed the date on the time panel was
Wednesday, May 25, 2011
not
Saturday       may 25, 2013

FYI: this f17 is result of several preupgrades over last few years
f12, f14, f16, f17

so maybe a lot of cruft has accumulated?

I am not sure, but I think I would have noticed a date change this
drastic, so I assume it was somehow caused by the power failure.

After lot of futzing around using my wife's imac
I found some instructions on the internet on how to change time, date.

and once I got the date correct, I could then again access internet.

as root:
# date +%D -s 2013-05-25

But oddly, if I then try to also change the time.
# date +%T -s 16:22:00 -u
this modifies the time but it is still way off,
and worse:
the date reverts back to the 2011 as above.!?

So i redo the date, and
again my f17 has internet, but a way off time clock.

advice, comments?

Jack