f17 no internet after power failure, power restored

jackson byers byersjab at gmail.com
Sun May 26 19:04:20 UTC 2013

>Most likely.  Either the power failed in a bad way, upsetting the
>hardware in your computer along the way, or your CMOS battery may be
>running low, and this failure happened coincidentally.

>If you often leave your computer switched off for many hours and your
>clock is fine, then the battery is probably okay.

well, I don't leave it switched off for many hours.
It is largely idle, no long jobs overnite, but it is on 24x7.
I know nothing about CMOS battery. This is an old system
# uname -rsvp
Linux 3.8.12-100.fc17.i686.PAE #1 SMP Wed May 8 15:43:53 UTC 2013 i686

I am mostly a hardware ninny.
I could take the computer to my old vendor to check CMOS,
which I will do as last resort, if I can't fix it.

>Unless you're running a CLI-only system, it seems like you've gone to an
>awful amount of trouble to set the time and date, instead of just using
>the system settings GUI that lets you set the clock.

I am running xfce
the only GUI i can find that might do this is

Administration, Add/remove Software, System-Config-Date
but clicking on that is unresponsive

>The first thing that springs to mind is that you shouldn't have to
>manually set the clock, I thought that Fedora set its clock from a time
>server, by default, these days.
I think you are correct, but I don't so far see how to check on this.

>And the second thing that springs to mind regards the clock being way
>off from what you expect:  Have you correctly set your computer's
>timezone?  And since you've specified that you set the clock to UTC with
>the -u flag, was 16:22 the actual UTC time at the time you set the
>clock?

right now I don't recall just how I came up with that 16:22:
I think it was wrong, as per following, from google:
"Time zone offset: UTC - 7 hours
PDT is 7 hours behind of Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
Note that PDT is a daylight saving time/summer time zone. It is generally
only used during the summer in the places listed below, during the winter
PST is used instead
"
So, i redid the two date commands one for date, one for time as corrected
for that 7hrs.
it is looking stable no funny time in panel.

>But personally, I'd just use the system settings GUI for the clock, pick
>the timezone, and let the computer manage the clock setting for me over
>the internet.  I dare say that just about all public NTP servers are
>going to be more accurate than manually setting the time, and it
>automatically takes care of any time errors that crop up from time to
>time.

I would like to, but as per above, the one menu item that looks appropriate
is
unresponsive

thanks for response
Jack