Error installing a package ??

Len Philpot len at philpot.org
Mon May 27 01:18:35 UTC 2013

On 05/26/2013 at 07:38 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
>On 05/27/13 08:19, Jim wrote:
>> Fedora 18, Trying to install a package, nitroshare-0.2-2.i386.rpm and I get
the following error message, What Gives ??

>You have downloaded a poorly packaged application.  It is potentially making
changes to permissions and/or selinux contexts on /, /usr, /opt and other
directories.

>I would report this issue to the folks supplying the package.
>
>You could force install it...which may break things.

With such files I have on occasion used...

# cp rpmfile.rpm /tmp
# cd /tmp
# rpm2cpio rpmfile.rpm | cpio -idmv

...and then copied the resulting file structure to where it needs to go. But
usually I do that only in a pinch when I really need a package and can find it
in no other format than the improperly packaged rpm file.

--
Len Philpot
len at philpot.org
http://lphilpot.zenfolio.com