Who screwed up ClamAV in F18?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue May 28 13:36:18 UTC 2013

Ok...  (Before anyone tells me I need to) I will be filing a bugzilla
report on this later today but someone did a bad thing in ClamAV.

If you install the latest packages from the update repositories, they
url chunks unable to create the clamupdate user and group.  Problem
appears to be in the clamav-update package.

During the yum install of the clamav packages...

--
 groupadd [options] GROUP

  -f, --force                   exit successfully if the group already exists,
                                and cancel -g if the GID is already used
  -g, --gid GID                 use GID for the new group
  -h, --help                    display this help message and exit
  -K, --key KEY=VALUE           override /etc/login.defs defaults
  -o, --non-unique              allow to create groups with duplicate
                                (non-unique) GID
  -p, --password PASSWORD       use this encrypted password for the new group
  -r, --system                  create a system account
  -R, --root CHROOT_DIR         directory to chroot into

useradd: group 'clamupdate' does not exist
warning: user clamupdate does not exist - using root
warning: group clamupdate does not exist - using root

  Installing: clamav-filesystem            ################### [1522/2490]
  Installing: clamav-update                ################### [1523/2490]/usr/bin/chown: invalid group: ‘root:clamupdate’
No such file or directory
warning: %post(clamav-update-0.97.8-1.fc18.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

--

I've had to add that user and group by hand on some of my real systems
but that's not possible in building the NST (Network Security Toolkit)

Obviously, it only affects fresh installs where someone installs ClamAV
on a new system (or, at least, one that hasn't had it on there before).
If the UID and GID already exist on the system, there's not a problem.

Regards,
Mike