Who screwed up ClamAV in F18?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed May 29 14:39:10 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 16:00 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 28.05.2013 15:52, schrieb Michael Schwendt:
> > On Tue, 28 May 2013 09:36:18 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> >
> >> Ok...  (Before anyone tells me I need to) I will be filing a bugzilla
> >> report on this later today but someone did a bad thing in ClamAV.
> >
> > A different suggestion: If you care about ClamAV in the Fedora package
> > collection, observe it more closely. Fresh installs probably have not
> > been (re)tried, but three testers have given feedback on the update:
> > https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2013-8047/clamav-0.97.8-1.fc18

> it works without any problem on machines installed 2011
> with F14 and after that 4 times "yum distro-sync"-upgrades

It would.  The "clamupdate" user and group already exist then and it
doesn't have to add them.  It's strictly with a new installation of
ClamAV where the user and group doesn't exist that it fails to create
them and causes problems later on.  Existing systems are not impacted.
The only reason I ran into this was when I set up a new, pristine, F18
system for testing out NST (Network Security Toolkit) respin builds and
it started hurling chunks with ClamAV.

Regards,
Mike