Weird network problem

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed May 29 21:51:23 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-29 at 21:14 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> >> I agree that dhcp by default gives an IP address in a given range on a
> >> LAN. But I don't think this is what is normally meant by "dynamic IP".
> >
> > Actually it gives out addresses on any kind of network, not just a LAN.
>
> You all seem to be finding it difficult to follow my meaning.
> I'm saying that the term "dynamic IP" is normally used
> to refer to an ISP giving the same client different IP addresses
> at different times, in order to to limit the number of address required.
> Whether or not that is done using dhcp is irrelevant to this point.

Which is why I explicitly mentioned ISPs in answer to your point about
LANs. I don't think anyone misunderstood. And of course an ISP may use
something other than DHCP for this. To be clear: "dynamic IP" refers to
the temporary assignment or lease of an IP to some client node, whatever
the protocol used. It's just that DHCP is by far the most common method
since it's widely implemented and standardized.

poc