Wireless networking degraded with Fedora 18

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu May 30 13:17:06 UTC 2013

Miner, Jonathan W (US SSA):
>> I recently upgraded to Fedora 18, and have noticed a big difference
>> between wireless networking performance.  With Fedora 18 running, and
>> sitting about 10 feet from a Linksys WAP54G access point I get "one
>> bar" on the Gnome icon... if I double the distance, I start losing
>> the connection.
>>
>> If I reboot to Fedora 17, I get three/four bars at 10feet, etc.

Ranjan Maitra:
> Regardless of the number of bars, is the download speed similar or very
> different under the two versions? (I ask because there was some talk
> earlier about the number of bars becoming a more accurate assessment

If all was well with the equipment, I'd expect a much better indication
than just one bar at a meagre distance of 10 feet, it doesn't sound like
a more accurate reading.  It's hard to imagine a transmission/reception
problem with that small distance.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.8.12-100.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 8 15:36:14 UTC 2013 x86_64

public lists.

My apologies for not including a virus with this message, but I don't
use Windows.