Annoying KDEWallet

Mark C. Allman mcallman at allmanpc.com
Sat Nov 2 13:15:45 UTC 2013

--
Mark C. Allman, PMP, CSM
Founder, See How You Ski
Allman Professional Consulting, Inc., www.allmanpc.com
617-947-4263, Twitter:  @allmanpc

Follow allmanpc on Twitter View Mark Allman, PMP, CSM's profile on
LinkedIn

On Sat, 2013-11-02 at 12:27 +0000, Steve Searle wrote:
> Around 10:47am on Saturday, November 02, 2013 (UK time), Oliver Ruebenacker scrawled:
>
> >   But then KDEWallet appeared out of nowhere, and every time I wanted to
> > connect to a wireless network, the KDEWallet came up and asked me to enter
> > a password.
> >
> >   Now I have a new system and want to never be bothered by KDEWallet again,
> > but the wireless configuration seems to forget all passwords unless I use
> > KDEWallet again.
> >
> >   How can I get back to the non-annoying behavior? I have KDE on Fedora 19.
>
> I got round this (I think) by setting a null (empty) password for
> KDEWallet.
>
> Steve
>
> --
>
> Website:  www.stevesearle.com
>
>  12:26:39 up 10 days,  3:30,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

I use KDE Wallet and don't see this behavior so I'd think that it's just
settings.  Don't want to assume that though.  ;-]

Under "Settings -> Configure Wallet ..." on the "Wallet Preferences" tab
I have "Enable the KDE Wallet subsystem" checked and the bottom two
talking about the system tray.  On the "Access Control" tab I have the
"Prompt when an application accesses a wallet" checked and under each
wallet (I have two) all the applications have the policy "Always Allow."
Two of the apps there are Google Chrome and Network Manager.

When I first log in, e.g., after rebooting to use a new kernel, I think
I get prompted for the KDE Wallet password when I use Chrome.  That only
happens once.  I never get asked for a password by Network Manager and I
have it set to "Store connection secrets" in "secure storage
(encrypted)."  However, I can't say for sure that Network Manager uses
KDE Wallet because when I look at the "Applications" tab in KDE Wallet's
main window I don't see it listed in the "applications currently
connected to this wallet" section.

I don't think that Network Manager uses Gnome Wallet.  Evolution does
and I get prompted by Gnome Wallet for a password when I open Evolution
for the first time after rebooting/logging in.  By that time a network
connection is already set up.

Check your KDE Wallet settings and post back what you have.  I agree
that prompts like what you describe are annoying at the least.

Mark C. Allman, PMP, CSM
Founder, See How You Ski