memory stick not recognized

Mikkel L. Ellertson mellertson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 20:13:38 UTC 2013

On 11/04/2013 11:28 AM, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> There is no output to /var/log/messages when I plug it in.
>
> On 11/04/2013 07:50:57 AM, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> On 11/03/2013 10:20 PM, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
>>> I have a Sony 128MB memory stick. When inserted, Fedora 19 does not
>> recognize it -- lsblk does not show it, dmesg reports nothing. It's
>> writable by Windows 7, which reports the device as "JMCR MS SCSI Disk
>> Device"
>>> Any thoughts on how to access the stick under Fedora?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>> What shows up in /var/log/messages when you plug it in?

If you can, try it in another USB port. You can also run lsusb and
see if it shows the memory stick, or an unidentified USB device. I
don't expect lsusb to produce if /var/log/messages does not show
anything. Normall there will be a message when you plug in a USB
device, even if the system does not reconize what the device is.
Something like:

Nov  6 14:11:59 x86 kernel: [31349.337850] usb 2-4: new high-speed
USB device number 3 using ehci-pci

Mikkel

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read
text. Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?