Service name conflict with system user name

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 7 13:41:45 UTC 2013

Allegedly, on or about 06 November 2013, Mark LaPierre sent:
> You must develop a plan to deal with duplicate user names.  I've seen
> this done in several ways.  You could add a number to the user name:
> I.E. eirods01

Or, you could try something more personal, and use nicknames (that they
approve of) for their login (e.g. James may be Jim).

This reminds me of a problem my friend created with his home computer
network.  He'd name the computer with his own name, and he'd use his own
name for his logon, too.  Then he'd do something similar with another
computer (use another personal name for himself).  It became
(personally, rather than computationally) confusing when doing things
across the network.  Not to mention leaving himself open to jokes about
logging on to himself...  ;-)

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.