Best (Fedora) way to capture/archive videos for LATER editing?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 7 13:53:06 UTC 2013

Allegedly, on or about 07 November 2013, M. Fioretti sent:
> I already know my way around nonlinear video editing on Linux.

I'd be interested to know what you use.  I still don't use computers for
editing my own work, because I've not found anything that works, or
isn't painful, on Linux.

> what do you think is the best "one, open digital format" (assuming it
> exists...) that would make it possible later editing and transcoding,
> with the smallest possible degradation?

I don't know if there's ever going to be "one."  I would have thought
for firewire caption of DV, the best choice would be a straight dump of
what the camera gives you.  That way, there's no transcoding, and
whenever someone gets around to using the data, they can use it as-is,
and render out with whatever's best at the time.  And what's great as an
editing source format this year, mayn't be next year, as editing
applications change, and different CODECs become popular.

That's harder to think about for other analogue formats, that need to be
captured, first.  But one option has always been, at least when I've
used other computer systems, was to play the analogue recording through
a digital camera that has analogue inputs, too, and can work as your
capture device (e.g. VHS into analogue in, DV out into PC's Firewire)
for the signal to be passed through it (E-E, not re-record and replay).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.