Creating a Locked user that has access to one dir

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Fri Nov 8 04:25:31 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-11-07 at 21:27 -0500, ben at acustat.org wrote:

> they are uploading files using winscp.
> I want to completely lock them to /home/user/upload (no other dirs)

I did this once, and I did it by giving the users a restricted shell,
which was a perl script that checked the arguments to be sure that they
were not trying to log in interactively (scp only), and not trying to
copy anywhere outside their home tree (done by checking for names
beginning with "/" or ".."). I don't know if that would be good enough
to block out a high-level adversary, but it worked for me.

--Greg