pulseaudio driving me crazy trying to script audio changes

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 19:08:10 UTC 2013

I got tired of having to manually set the audio output
to spdif when I want to watch a movie with audio via
my receiver then manually set it back to hdmi when I
want to turn off the receiver and just use the TV, so
I thought I'd finally get around to updating the script
I used to use before I swapped motherboards and
changed the audio hardware.

I ran an "info" command through pacmd after using the
gnome volume control to set the audio both different
ways.

The only difference I see when comparing them is the
default audio sink. So I changed my script to use
the set-default-sync command.

But it doesn't act the same as the volume control app.

I still get sound from the HDMI when I use pacmd.

I don't get sound over HDMI when I use the gnome
volume control.

What the heck is different that the GUI app does? Why
doesn't it show up in the vast spew of output the info
command provides in pacmd?