DNS problem -

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 11 00:54:18 UTC 2013

Allegedly, on or about 10 November 2013, Bob Goodwin ~ Zuni, Virginia,
USA sent:
> I used to subscribe to open.dns but with this satellite system it no
> longer functions and we are required to use their dns which is part of
> some optimization system Viasat uses.

There is a chance that you could still use an outside DNS service, if
you can access one that uses a different port than your ISP is
intercepting.  This would, also, depend on you either making up TCP/IP
redirection rules on your gateway so your clients queries go to that
unusual port.  Or, running your own DNS server on a PC.  You'd configure
your clients to use that DNS server as a normal DNS server, and you'd
configure the DNS server to do the unusual port queries.

ISPs are notorious for having awful DNS services, particularly ones that
play silly games with forcing you to use them.  So running your own DNS
server, that's totally under your control, can be quite advantageous.

The mini DNS servers in some modem/routers are awful, and have no
configuration options.  Some modem/routers don't have a DNS server, they
simply act as a proxy between you and the ISP supplied DNS server IPs.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.