Change of UID

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Nov 16 00:08:46 UTC 2013

Allegedly, on or about 15 November 2013, Timothy Murphy sent:
> But on re-installing the system
> (which had been in operation for several years)
> I found my UID had changed from 500 to 1000.
>
> I dealt with this by chown -R, which worked fine.

I've just gone through a similar change, when installing a newer release
into a LAN with mixed releases, and wanted the same usernames to have
the same UIDs and GIDs, everywhere.  It just makes things so much
easier.

I decided to change the older release up to the newer IDs, rather than
fight against the system.  So, in my case, on the older system, I:

edited /etc/password to change my old UID from 500 to 1000
edited /etc/group to change my old GID from 500 to 1000
chown -R tim:tim /home/tim/
chown tim:tim /var/spool/mail/tim

You had the first two steps done for you.  If you don't have local mail,
you won't need the last one.

I think I've covered everything that I need to do.  Anybody care to
pitch in and tell me something I've forgotten to do?

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.