how to clear YouTube ghost imagery from display without logging out

Darlene Wallach freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Sat Nov 16 08:48:43 UTC 2013

T.C.

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 11:34 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth
<tchollingsworth at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM, Darlene Wallach
> <freepalestin at dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> It seems to be happening a lot now. When I watch a YouTube video it leaves
>> ghost image of the YouTube screen. Is there a way to clear my display
>> without logging out?
>
> Invoke your desktop's Run Command interface (usually ALT+F2 does the
> trick) or a terminal and use it to run `xkill`.  This will turn your
> mouse arrow into an X, and you can then click on anything on your
> screen to kill the process underlying it.  Please note that in the
> case of Flash this may take your entire browser process along with it.

What is weird is the "ghost image" shows up on each workspace not just
the one where I played the YouTube video. I can also see the traces of
the "ghost image" on other YouTube videos I play if I have not logged
out and logged back in again. So I don't know how the "xkill" would
work on other workspaces.

> Speaking of your browser, which one do you use?

I actually use three browers:
Seamonkey
Firefox
Chrome

> This used to happen a
> lot back in the bad old days, but I haven't heard/seen this happen in
> _years_.
>
> -T.C.
> --

Thank you for taking the time to reply.