How avoid unwanted systemd-journald?

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Sat Nov 16 18:18:05 UTC 2013

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 11/15/2013 02:46 AM, Frantisek Hanzlik issued this missive:
>> For one thing I'm in the conviction that binary logs are hazardous
>> bullshit, for another on my two F19 machines systemd-journald occupy
>> significant part of resources (after several days it is often 1.5 to
>> 2.5 GB RAM and several GB on /var/log/journal/*/* filesystem).
>>
>> Then, how I can avoid this crap and log only to standard rsyslogd?
>>
>> I tried set "LogTarget=syslog-or-kmsg" in "[Manager]" section of
>> /etc/systemd/{system.conf,user.conf}, but this not helped; setting
>> "Storage=none" in "[Journal]" section of /etc/systemd/journald.conf
>> is better, but I want ideally completely cut out systemd-journald
>> from my systems.
>
> Uhm,
>
>     # systemctl stop systemd-journald.service
>     # systemctl disable systemd-journald.service

'systemctl list-unit-files|grep journald\.service' list systemd-journald
service as static, and it seems as these cannot be disabled or masked.

I tried delete '/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-journald', but this may not be
called clean solution. And after that, several services (e.g. sendmail,
dovecot, sshd - what I shortly browse) stop logging via rsyslogd. On
other hand, other services log to rsyslogd well.

Franta Hanzlik