F17 boot with lvm does not create all the device nodes

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 07:50:33 UTC 2013

Here's some more information.  It looks like all the LVM device files that
correspond to a device mapper minor number of 10 or greater are missing.  I
have four such devices (logical volumes).

After boot the lvm devices look like,

lvhome -> ../dm-9
lvroot -> ../dm-1
and so on.

All the devices with minor numbers < 10 appear as I expect.  However all
the those with minor number >= 10 are missing.

If I query dm directly (dmsetup ls), or just look for all dm devices (ls
/dev/dm-*) then all of the devices show up.  It is only the symbolic links
for the volume group that are missing.

Is there a particular dm bug, or is this just a coincidence?   How can I
get the system to boot?

Thanks
--
Deron Meranda