/var/lib/libvirt/images on BTRFS (it works!)

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 09:26:08 UTC 2013

On 17 November 2013 16:28, Gene Czarcinski <gene at czarc.net> wrote:

> 1.  execute:  chattr  +C  /var/lib/libvirt/images
> or wherever your image files are.  This needs to be done on the directory
> whether you have a separate subvol or not.
>
> 2.  This ONLY works for new files and ONLY works for "raw" storage format
> files.  Pretty much by definition, qcow2 files are sparse format files and
> that is the primary problem on btrfs.

As always there are pros and cons that have to be traded off...

With the configuration you are suggesting you lose certain features -
whether you need them or not is up to your use case...

1) Cloning a template file (and patches are on their way to handle this in
libvirt natively) via native BTRFS clone capabilities for speed and to
reduce disk usage is not possible.

2) The new snapshot management functionality in virt-manager in F20 is only
possible with qcow2 images and not raw images.

Personally my VMs are fine with the SSD backing them so I'd lose too much
to do this.