Can't stand Gnome3, I think it's time for Fedora to move on

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 22 11:14:03 UTC 2013

Allegedly, on or about 22 November 2013, Rahul Sundaram sent:
> What I was trying to convey is that If I am as an user unaware of
> other desktop environments, the defaults impact my experience a lot
> more than if I already know of the choices and have picked something
> that matches my preferences.  The moment I pick something else, I have
> satisfied my need and the argument about defaults should really be
> considered in a more objective way than just as an expression of my
> preferences

I'm of the opinion that the computer should work, as much as possible,
out of the box.  It shouldn't require high end graphics cards, and
special drivers that we don't have (whether because you need to get them
from an external repo, or that they just don't exist).  The simpler
windowing systems ought to be the defaults, and the more convoluted ones
a deliberate choice for those who want to tart things up, and are
prepared to go through the nightmares of trying to get 3D graphics
acceleration to work.

And speaking of fancying things up beyond practicality.  Can we have a
better bootloader than GRUB2?  GRUB 1 was always a small bit of a pain
to configure, but far less worse than LILO.  GRUB 2 requires programming
to customise, not just a slight tweak of one config file.  My current
bugbear is that it always loads some old kernel, rather than the latest,
because it sorts them in a peculiar order.  Top of the list isn't the
latest, and picking number whatever as default isn't going to work after
the next kernel update.  I'm going to have to hand re-organise the
grub2.cfg file after each time a kernel is updated, to get it to work
sensibly.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.