Can't stand Gnome3, I think it's time for Fedora to move on

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 11:38:49 UTC 2013

On 22 November 2013 05:23, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 11:06 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
>> HI
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 9:16 PM, inode0 wrote:
>>>

>>> Why shouldn't it matter to him? Who should it matter to?
>>

>> I already indicated why it shouldn't matter to him because what he prefers
>> is already in the repository and he can switch to it regardless of the
>> defaults. Among users, it might matter more to people who aren't aware of
>> the choices.
>
> That really makes no sense. Neither part of it. The fact that someone
> knows about options available has nothing to do with whether he/she
> should care about what is the default in the distribution and users
> who don't even know what the choices are surely can't have much of an
> opinion about the matter.

http://spins.fedoraproject.org/
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/kde/
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/
And, just to push it,
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/jam-kde/ (Music creation oriented, KDE based).

Rather than arguing about defaults it's maybe time for people to vote
with their feet. There has been for quite some time a view that the
default doesn't need changing because it's better to offer multiple
options, that has perhaps given Gnome an easy ride as the default. And
Fedora is now the gnome-centric distribution. People might start
taking notice when the spins begin to overtake the official release in
popularity.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk