UEFI: After upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, F19 grub menu does not appear

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Nov 22 22:31:15 UTC 2013

On Nov 22, 2013, at 3:21 PM, Steven Rosenberg <stevenhrosenberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
>> On Nov 22, 2013, at 1:40 PM, Steven Rosenberg <stevenhrosenberg at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 4:11 AM, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Once in Fedora, you can use efibootmgr to change the boot order.
>>

>> Not all systems allow you to do this. My HP Pavilion g6 laptop will not
>> allow you to flip Windows and Linux in the boot order. You can do it in
>> efibootmgr, but nothing happens.
>>

>> So if you use efibootmgr -v before and after the change in order with
>> efibootmgr, does BootOrder show the change in the 2nd efibootmgr -v
>> instance?
>

> The boot order changes. But once I reboot, it goes back to what it was before.

So the boot order changes in NVRAM, according to efibootmgr -v, but when you reboot and then run efibootmgr -v again, it's changed the order?

Wow, that's goofy. How does it even know what the order was and that it's changed? The spec language seems to imply that BootOrder isn't what gets changed, but rather than boot entry, which just seems wrong. I must be reading the spec incorrectly, but then I read it again….

"To change boot option on an existing Boot####, only the Boot#### variable would need to be rewritten. A similar operation would be done to add, remove, or modify the driver load list."

Chris Murphy