Better way to upgrade fc18->fc19

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Nov 23 00:42:15 UTC 2013

David wrote:
> On 11/22/2013 7:05 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> NOTE: an early draft of this question was sent somehow, ignore it
>>
>> I have has miserable luck with fedup, is there a better way, anything? I
>> really don't want to leave this machine down for days, and the 18->19 on
>> a test machine took about 36 hours to complete, and another 3-4 to redo
>> all the scripts from the ones on other machines which all use ethN to
>> meaningless interface names. In 18 I just changed a single script to use
>> (or not use) biosnames, and all was well, but on my test conversion to
>> 19 that doesn't work, or the file was rewritten, and I finally used the
>> name which changes every time the machine gets shuffled a bit.
>>
>> Is there a better way than fedup, and why is it so slow?
>>

> My experience with Fedup is that it works. As long as you don't have
> some really 'strange', 3rd party, packages installed, that replace
> standard Fedora packages, and do not have any 'strange' repos enabled.

Work it did, but it took about a day and a half to work, have no idea what it
was doing. That's on a modest machine I know i7-950 quad, 32GB RAM, root on
128GB SSD (Intel, I think). I was hoping to have it sooner than that.

Strange repos, like rpmfusion so graphics work or adobe because people have
things in flash (work things) I have to see. I do have those. Maybe that's the
issue, if I didn't need to USE the system, I could do without them :-(
Thanks for the warning, maybe I can disable, upgrade, then put in the needed
things from single user mode.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>