Writing English.

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 12:11:14 UTC 2013

On 24 November 2013 00:21, Bill Oliver <vendor at billoblog.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Nov 2013, Rolf Turner wrote:
>
>> On 11/24/13 09:30, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>>>
>>>  On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 10:29:19AM +1300, Rolf Turner wrote:
>>

>>     <SNIP>

>>>  Another English major heard from.
>>
>>    Actually not true.  Maths honours, Ph.D. maths, M. Stat.  But what is
>> your point?
>>>
>>>  I assume you're aware that languages evolve over time in accordance with
>>>  common usage.
>>

>>    This is such a tired and tiresome old cliche that it is not worth
>> responding to.
>>    Read what I wrote and think, rather than glibly reacting with smug
>> conformism.
>>
>>    cheers,
>>
>>    Rolf Turner
>>

> I think the problem is that you are under the mistaken impression that most
> of us who find this so funny are people who speak English.  We don't.  We
> speak American, a related but very different thing.   Hell, I don't even
> speak Yankee.
>
> The last time someone said "whilst" to me, I thought he had a cold and
> offered him a hankie.
>
> I well remember a friend of mine from London coming to visit me at the
> ranch.  After the initial pleasantries, my father whispered to my aunt,
> "What the hell that boy sayin'?  Don't get a damn thing coming outta his
> mouth."  My aunt whispered back "Don't matter none.  He's Little Bill's
> friend.  Just smile."
>
> The difference between "alternate" and "alternative" is a drop in the
> freaking bucket.  You might as well be bitching that we misspell "colour."
>
> It's not that you are wrong about English usage.  You are wrong about
> American usage.  And we just don't care -- but we find it hilarious that
> someone would.
>
> Listen to this guy talk (he's from Tupelo, Missisipi) and imagine telling
> this guy that he's using the word "alternate" incorrectly:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS98llpw1L4

Well, it's a song, not technical documentation. That's what the "James
Joyce would have been awful if he'd allowed all these rules to hold
him back" argument misses. I wouldn't get Joan MirĂ² to design inflight
safety leaflets (partly because he's dead). Picasso might've made a
good job of it. Actually, the bit where he's talking is pretty much
standard English.
Not all Americans sound the same, not all British people either, I've
had to translate glaswegian for English people before. In Yorkshire
people don't understand what I'm saying unless I do the loudly and
slowly thing.

"Twerk, what we do in Yorkshire between nine and five." - ISIHAC.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk