sharing /boot among multible Linux distros

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Nov 27 04:26:06 UTC 2013

On Nov 26, 2013, at 8:43 PM, Javier Perez <pepebuho at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:
>

> On Nov 26, 2013, at 3:00 PM, Javier Perez <pepebuho at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In theory, Ubuntu and Fedora will have their own partitions inside the SDD.
>> My question is, can I share the /boot partition between Fedora and Ubuntu? both are using Grub2.
>

> Let me backup a step. The hardware is UEFI or BIOS based?
>
> Unknown at this moment. I have yet to pick a MB. So far I have decided to base the system on a Socket 1150 / I5-4670 CPU, I am still deciding about the mobo.

OK well all of this is different if  you go UEFI. Pretty much nothing I've said applies to UEFI and that includes there being no such thing as installing boot loaders to partitions. There are no MBRs or VBRs. Instead there's a UEFI boot manager, and almost invariably you'll have to get familiar with that in order to choose which OS you want to boot, because a unified grub menu that shows all linux distros just isn't working reliably for everyone yet. You could even choose to not deal with GRUB2 on UEFI for that matter, you could use gummiboot or rEFInd, both of which are smarter about multibooting linux distros. However, no autogeneration of configuration file, so you have to learn some scripting. Nothing approaching what's required to know about GRUB however which is god awful complicated for just being a bootloader.

Chris