How to keep an old kernel?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Oct 10 02:56:07 UTC 2013

Allegedly, on or about 10 October 2013, Timothy Murphy sent:
> In any case, I have one 3.10 kernel in my three grub kernels.
> I'm yum-updating with exclude=kernel* to avoid losing this kernel.
> But I'm wondering if there is some way of telling yum
> that I want to keep this kernel, but would like to update
> the current kernel?

Simplistic solution, set yum to keep something like 5, or more, kernels.
So that it's so long before it automatically removes one, that you've
still got the one that you want.   And that gives you much more time to
see whether any new kernels do work adequately.  You can manually remove
in-between versions.

I do that, for all installs.  I've had kernel problems in the past, and
I want to ensure that I've got plenty of fallbacks to try out.
Sometimes you don't notice a problem with a new kernal for quite some
time.

However, I think you could list the exact version that you want to
exclude.  The yum.conf man file, for older releases, at least, mentions
that wildcarding is *allowed*, it doesn't say wildcarding has to be
used.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.