Fedora = "the darker side of the Internet?"

Jeff Gustafson ncjeffgus at zimage.com
Sat Oct 12 06:55:52 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 17:53 -0400, Bill Oliver wrote:
> Sigh.  Yes, I know you have to go through 17 to get to 18, Mr. Harald.
> And, no, it's not just a matter of "following instructions."  In fact,
> almost nothing that requires significant technical skill is just a
> matter of "following instructions."  Arrogant savants forget the fact
> that they paid a lot of dues learning the little tricks that *aren't*
> in the instructions.  Your tell, for instance, is that you brag about
> upgrading 20 machines from F9 to F18.  You may not be willing to admit
> it, but I suspect *somewhere* in there, there were a few gliches.
> But, because you have done it a bunch of times, you know how to deal
> with them.  That's very different that doing it for the first time.

This page helps quite a bit:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum

Note that is the live update via yum which can be a bit more trickier. I
can't recall serious issues with upgrades using the normal upgrade
procedure. I'm sure there have been some, but none that were serious
enough to note.

...Jeff