3D printing

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Mon Oct 14 16:31:10 UTC 2013

On 10/12/2013 02:02 PM, antonio montagnani issued this missive:
> we are testing a 3D printer, with Marlin driver.With Repitiert Host at
> first test we didn't get any connection with 250000 baud rate.From
> googling around I am confused if 250000 baud can be accepted by Fedora
> (I think so)
> Printer works fine in Windows with same baud rate.Are we missing some
> point??
>
> Printer is 3drag from an Italian company, Futura Elettronica

I've never heard of a 250K baud rate. I have seen 230.4K (230400) and
256K (256000). I suppose it's possible but I don't know if a standard
program (e.g. stty) would know how to set those. It's dependent on the
crystal frequency being fed to the USART along with the various divisors
in the USART's registers.

It may be that the Windows program goes down into the hardware more
deeply than standard Linux software does. You could probably do it
by writing code that pokes the appropriate registers in the USART but
I wouldn't know how to go about it. It's been a while since I did any
bit-fiddling at that level.