F18: Bind-chroot & Dovecot mount errors, how to fix?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Oct 23 12:35:58 UTC 2013

Tim:
>> Since Fedora likes to put removeable media into /var/run/username/media
>> you might encounter that problem again, unless you put /var/run into its
>> ignore database.

Tom Horsley:
> It is worse than that. It apparently doesn't store the
> ignored info anywhere, because if a mountpoint appears
> again then disappears again, it will warn you again
> no matter what you might have told it previously.
>
> This appears to be another case of butt-headed developers
> since lots of users have asked for a way to eradicate
> this "feature" but the requests are always rejected
> as "user is wrong".

Gawd, what were they thinking?!  And I wonder what their response will
be to a blunt, "no, YOU, are wrong"?

Why should an email server program go looking for places that you might
have mail?  Surely where mail is stored is something that the admin
person ought to be configuring.

If it were an occasional removable drive change, then I could possibly
live with just ensuring that a start script was used somewhere to add in
the parameters.  But I'll just have to make sure than either the next
server I set up doesn't get things plugging into it (though I suppose
inserting a DVD-ROM into a drive is going to send it bananas, too), or I
use another IMAP server program.

Well done Dovecot programmers, what a fucking stupid thing to do.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.