Firefox - gedit is the best!

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Oct 29 09:35:48 UTC 2013

Am 29.10.2013 10:07, schrieb Mateusz Marzantowicz:
> On 29.10.2013 09:17, Ian Malone wrote:
>> This isn't an argument for using content type rather than
>> autodetection, the content type could be manipulated as part of an
>> attack.

in that case you are already lost and if the server
had an intrusion and is attacking you be sure sooner
or later someone will attack your local code doing
the mime-sniffing itself

> OK, I know all that argumentation about security but as you've mentioned
> HTTP headers could be easily manipulated.

could they?

only in two cases and in *both* you are already lost

* the server was hacked and is attacking users
* a successful man-in-the-middle

> Content recognition must be done somewhere, in that case on
> web server, in order to set headers correctly.

and that is the right place

> There always would be need for content inspection

not on the client except for local saved files

> So what is better: check content on server side or client side?

on the server side - period

> From client perspective the later is safer because it doesn't
> have to trust some remote entity.

*lol* if you do not trust the remote entity aka server
how should your client make it safe by magic?

> My sample URL showed that even GitHub isn't perfect and
> sets improper headers for some files (or it does it by choice)

because GitHub and some others are failing in basics does
not mean that the client has to fix their errors

> Finally, client software and web browsers should not be fragile to
> miscellaneous and manipulated content - they just should recognizes
> it as such

maybe windows is the solution for this non-existing problem
the majority of users has no problem by some random servers
which are broken, you can *always* save a file and open it
local or in doubt if the server is that broken close the
web-page and go to some trustable source