Yum and dkms -

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 3 10:51:21 UTC 2013

Bob Goodwin ~ Zuni, Virginia, USA <bobgoodwin <at> wildblue.net> writes:

> After"yum update" this morning I have this notice. I recall needing dkms
> for some reason after installing vbox but don't recall the reason for
> it. I assume there is some action required on my part but what? It seems
> easier to ask here than to muddle through this again.
>
> What command do I need to execute to fix this or should I just forget dkms?

It did exactly what it was supposed to. By installing dkms, the host will
automatically build the kernel modules for each kernel when installing it,
and remove them (which is what you saw) when uninstalling it. You can see
the currently installed kernel modules with the command "dkms status". You
should have a vboxhost entry corresponding to each installed kernel, similar
to this:

vboxhost, 4.2.16, 3.10.10-200.fc19.x86_64, x86_64: installed
vboxhost, 4.2.16, 3.10.7-200.fc19.x86_64, x86_64: installed
vboxhost, 4.2.16, 3.10.9-200.fc19.x86_64, x86_64: installed