A couple of random questions about login

J.Witvliet at mindef.nl J.Witvliet at mindef.nl
Tue Sep 3 12:49:44 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: users-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org [mailto:users-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of Bryn M. Reeves
Sent: Monday, September 02, 2013 6:42 PM
To: Community support for Fedora users
Subject: Re: A couple of random questions about login

On 09/02/2013 04:42 PM, Bill Oliver wrote:
> My wife turned to me and said, "If I were the bad guy, I'd just have the
> computer delete everything if someone entered the boat name, or at least
> send me a text.  The boat was an obvious guess, and I would never
> accidentally type it in."

This is pretty close to the concept of a duress code or panic password -
a special signal that you only give when under duress to covertly
indicate that fact:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duress_code

There's a problem with this idea though: anyone who knows or suspects
that you are using such a booby trap and has access to the system just
has to guess the right term and they can hose your data.