how can i make restart not require root password

Jehan PROCACCIA jehan.procaccia at tem-tsp.eu
Wed Sep 4 09:02:25 UTC 2013

hello,
I've got hundred of fedora19 station installed on computer lab for our students.
these are self service multi-user stations, users needs to restart the station whenever they want to
unfortunatly apparently "polkit" prevents them to restart when another user is (or had been ?) connected .
I know it is a safe behavior, but we defenitively want to enable users to restart the station themself whenever they want to, but without requiring the root password !
indeed, often student leave the room without disconecting (bad !) , then the screen locks but still allows someone else to connect, but that second student then cannot restart :-( .

I've tried lot of things:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/1190/how-can-i-make-shutdown-not-require-admin-password
apparently .pkla files a deprecated , and I confirmed that creating a /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/allow_all_users_to_restart.pkla containing Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart-multiple-users AllowActive=yes doesn't work

then, from #fedora IRC I've been proposed to create rules in /etc/polkit-1/rules.d :
http://paste.fedoraproject.org/36844/
[root at b06-02 rules.d]# cat 00-early-checks.rules
/* Allow shutdown when others are logged in */
polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
if (action.id == "org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop-multiple-users" ||
action.id == "org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart-multiple-users") {
return polkit.Result.YES;
}
});

it still fails, when user click on their username on the top right corner of the gnome-session, schroll down to shutdown, then click restart, a window appears warning that there are other user conencted and that "authentification is required for rebooting the system while other users are logged in", and ends by asking to enter the "Administrator" password :-(
Where can I remove that "feature" ?

Thanks