Something compatible to MS Office on Fedora?

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Fri Sep 6 14:57:18 UTC 2013

Hi,
>  That is usually solved in all versions prior to office 2007 by
> installing the office 2007 compatibility pack. I even tried it in
> office 2000 and it read docx perfectly, but who knows...
A few years ago I worked as editor-at-large for a computer magazine.
Authors, editors and revisors worked from different locations, sharing
files by e-mail. It was not unusual the same content going through
changes by six or more different pepole.

 From time to time, word doc and docx files become garbled, after a few
interations were different people changed the text using different ms
office versions. Nobody could continue to work without signifficant
effort retyĆ­ng and reformatting content from previous interactions. :-(

The solution: they forwarded the file to me -- the only one using
OpenOffice, by the way under Fedora --- and I could read the file
without garbage, or with little garbage and little formatting
disruption. I fixed a few lines (if needed) and saved the file again as
doc or docx so the rest of the team could continue. :-)

[]s, Fernando Lozano