Something compatible to MS Office on Fedora?

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Sep 6 15:48:06 UTC 2013

On 09/06/2013 08:13 AM, csaba.czuczor at foxconn.com wrote:
> Dear Oliver,
>
>     You can try OpenOffice from www.openoffice.org
>     It's pretty good for me :).
>
> with kind regards
>
> Csaba
>

> On 06/09/13 14:09, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
>>
>>      Hello,
>>
>>   I need to be able to collaborate writing documents with colleagues
>> who use MS Office. That is, we send documents back and forth while
>> each party edits them.
>>
>>   It used to be that LibreOffice was acceptable, although way from
>> perfect. But recently, it is causing severe headaches. I'm importing
>> and exporting as DOCX in Writer, and I get cases where it crashes
>> persistently when I want to open a document, or in other cases
>> indentation changes to absurd ways, and math formulas get corrupted
>> and in one case simply vanish.
>>
>>   Is there a better alternative? Or a better way to use LibreOffice to
>> share with MS Office?
>>
>>   This is a potentially fatal problem.
>>
>>   Thanks!
>>
>>      Best,
>>      Oliver
>>
>> --
>> Oliver Ruebenacker
>> IT Project Lead at PanGenX (http://www.pangenx.com)
>> Be always grateful, but never satisfied.

Take a look at Softmaker Office. Their word processor is called
Textmaker. There is a free version as well as a paid version.
It seems to handle .doc and .docx files well, altho I haven't
seen any with fancy formatting. (I have the paid version.)
Download the freebie at:

http://www.freeoffice.com/

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley