Turning off SELINUX

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Sep 5 22:04:25 UTC 2013

Am 05.09.2013 23:58, schrieb Javier Perez:
> I know SELinux is not about encryption, it is about limiting access to the system AFTER a breach has ocurred. (That
> is my understanding AFAIK, and that is why I think it is a good idea)

well, so *why* do you refer to an article about encryption

> My beef is given the NSA origin of this software, It could very well have a backdoor to turn itself off under the
> appropriate circumstances like an NSA-sponsored breach an allow unrestricted access to my system

"could very well" is not any qualified statement - it is FUD

> I know it is a long shot and a lot of paranoid-think, after all, if I have to depend on SELinux to defend my system
> from external breaches, I am F*ck up already.

says who?

> Attackers should first have to breach the firewall and then obtain some sort of user access

*what* has a firewall to do with a potential buffer overlow in running code
resulting in execute inujected code on your system - that's what SElinux is about

may i suggest to learn basics about the different layers of a operating system
before read random completly unrelated articles and speard FUD based on them
without understan dwhat they are talking about?

> then trick the system to scalate it to a root access before SELinux comes into play

may i suggest to learn how SElinux works
it is supposed to prevent exactly this

> But again, It is good to know that all links in the chain to being pawned
> are good and strong before trusting them, and this article certainly throws
> some mud to whatever contribution NSA has made to any security system

without any specified backround it is uneducated FUD
no tmore and not less