Kernel 3.11 and Fedora 19...

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Sat Sep 7 08:19:02 UTC 2013

On 07.09.2013, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> 1. Is there a kernel spec file for Fedora 19 that could be used to compile
> a 3.11 kernel with the same build parameters as the F19 one?

I don't know. You could use the Fedora .config which usually resides
in /boot after installing a Fedora kernel.

> 2. Which kernel does F20 expect to use?

Can't answer on that one.

> 3. Anyone on this list running kernel 3.11 with F19? Did you build it
> yourself or did you use one provided by someone else? In the latter case:
> who/where? :)

I've never used any distribution kernel on any distribution
(incl. Fedora) longer than in the installation process. Usually, I run
a vanilla kernel with some minor own modifications.

Currently, I'm running 3.11 on this F19 laptop, without any major
problems.

[htd at kiera ~]$ uname -a
Linux kiera.fritha.org 3.11.0 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Sep 3 17:34:31 CEST 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I can mail you my own .config if you want, but most probably you won't benefit
from it, because it's highly tailored to the hardware it's running
on. If you need advice on how to run your own kernel on F19, I can get
you on the way.

A good starting point would be to download one of the kernels from
kernel.org, and place the current F19 .config in it's main directory.
These few steps will get you a new kernel:

1. make oldconfig
2. make -jx (where x is the numbers of cores/threads of your CPU)
3. make modules_install
4. make install