Turning off SELINUX

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 7 15:15:32 UTC 2013

On 09/07/2013 06:39 AM, Tim wrote:
<>

> I can remember the lovely lilac corona you could get when you poked the
> end of a screwdriver *near* the tripler in a CRT set.  Tens of thousands
> of volts going *almost* through you (more like around the outside of
> you, rather than through your innards), but you were the conductor,
> though you couldn't really feel a thing.
>
> There'd, also, be a rather ominous screeching noise from the
> electronics.

i know that feeling. similarly, i had a skin effect experience when i put
my hand on a van de graaff generator at the Chicago Museum of Science and
Industry. [as a side note, i know the man, Steve Worack, Circuitron, Inc.,
who built the model railroad exhibit. a neighbor from when we lived in
North Riverside, IL.]

not so good a feeling was having touched the low voltage rectifier in the
high voltage section a a tv with palm of my left hand. that went straight
to the bones in my hand and exited from my foot thru 3 nails in heal of my
shoe to a floor furnace. i had the burn marks in both for well over 40 years.

if you want to reminisce about tubes;

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_tubes
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vacuum_tubes

i still have my first and last RCA and GE tube manuals stored in my
historical storage boxes along with my RCA and GE semiconductor manuals.
hell, even a lot of my ic manuals are now outdated. i guess i will have
to do some relabeling of the boxes. :=)

it is a shame that most of 'tech heads' of today know very little of such,
thanks to the needs of the aero space rocket launches.

sure would be nice if fedoraproject would create a 'general' list like
mozilla did. then reminiscing would not be a thread unraveler. ;=)

--

peace out.

sl6.3 linux

tc.hago.